Students in College Prep courses should select one text to read and complete the SOAPS worksheet. Student are encouraged, but not required, to select one of the SCYABA books available for summer check-out from the BCHS media center.
Students enrolled in Honors and AP English courses are to choose ONE book from the following provide list. There are recommendations by course; however, students should select a book that will connect to their courses for the year, including classes beyond their English class.
Honors and AP students are to complete the Major Works Data Sheet for the chosen text.
Non-Fiction/Memoir/Informational Texts: Recommended (though not required) for English II-H and English IV-AP
1. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (Rebecca Skloot)
2. Ghosts of War (Ryan Smithson)
3. Lies My Teacher Told Me (James W. Loewen)
4. Woman Warrior (Maxine Hong Kingston)
5. The Prince (Niccolo Macchiavelli)
6. The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass (Frederick Douglass)
Fiction Texts: Recommended (though not required) for English I-H, English III-H and English V-AP
7. The Bell Jar (Sylvia Plath)
8. Slaughterhouse-Five (Kurt Vonnegut)
9. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (Jonathan Safron-Foer)
10. Animal Farm ( George Orwell)
11. Pygmailion (George Bernard Shaw)